Saturday, July 10, 2010

Feel-good movies?

A quick google of "feel-good movies" will register such films as 'The Green Mile', 'Shawshank Redemption' and 'Braveheart'. While -- doubtless -- excellent movies, I am impelled to ask -- has everyone gone mad? 'Feel-good' does not translate to mean 'movies which cause heart-wrenching sobs and deep emotional turmoil'. On the contrary. I would define 'feel-good' as 'movies which cause heart palpitations and emotional relaxation'. Whatever one might say, I certainly did not feel good after watching Mel Gibson be drawn and quartered at the end of Braveheart. I was in a state of utter despair and torment. The ending was satisfying, but I was certainly not left with the warm and fuzzy inner glow -- an absolute essential in any film professing to be 'feel good'. No. I am outraged at the shocking lack of understanding shown by contributors to internet sites which volunteer these sorts of movies to poor, unassuming surfers, searching only for soft smiles and stomach butterflies. As such, I am resolved to here exhibit a real list of genuine feel-good movies. May the warm-fuzzies rule!

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
A Good Year
That Thing You Do
Stardust (?)
Keeping Mum
Amelie
Bringing Up Baby
Valentino: The Last Emperor
Robin Hood (Disney style)
The Philadelphia Story
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (?)
The Princess Bride
La Vita e Bella (the first half!)
Sabrina
Stranger than Fiction
My Neighbour Totoro

If anyone has any films of similar ilk that I may have forgotten or have not seen, tell me! Happy Sofa Loafing!

No comments:

Post a Comment